When I started dating my hubby, I never dreamed how wrestling would play such a large roll in our life.  Hubby wrestled all high school, where I also was "mat maid" for fours years.  After high school, hubby wrestled in college.  He then decided to ref many high school meets and tournaments.  When Jayden was born, it was obvious, he too would be introduced to the sport!  At age 4 he wrestled in his first take down tournament.  He did awesome.  Little did we know that he would end up loving the sport!!

Here is Jayden back in the day (on the left)  with his good buddy Austin



Our lives have been filled with weekends of tournaments ever since that very first tournament he wrestled at.  Many nights of practice starting at the early age of 5.  Driving miles and miles, and packing bags, and cooler, and toys for tournaments.....  But it was all to help a little boy fulfill his dream, his dream of going to THE IOWA STATE WRESTLING TOURNAMENT, when he "grew up"!

On Saturday, It was the district meet..the qualifying tournament for state.  Last year his dream was shattered as a freshman, by breaking his collar bone during the match that would determine if he was going to state.  It was devastating seeing him walk up to the podium with his shoulder wrapped up taking third place.
This year, as my son was waiting to walk up on the podium, he turned to me and said "Mama, this has always been my dream, and I did it! "   Right there and then I wanted to just bawl my eyes out ..  I was sooo proud of him.......but I held my composure and kissed him on the cheek and whispered to him "yes you did buddy, I love you."   After that, he walked up to the podium to receive his 2nd place medal with a huge smile on his face.


Yup, its all been worth it.....

date Sunday, February 13, 2011

1 comments to “A Dream”

  1. Cindy
    8:50 PM

    What a moment! Congratulations Jayden! (And mom!)