Back when we had Mayson's IEP in April, there were several things the team and I disagreed with. I was PRO preschool again, and they were PRO kindergarten. One of my main reasons I was for preschool was Mayson's fine motor skills. This sweet girl still cannot draw a line on command, let alone even want to hold a pencil, crayon, marker, glue stick or scissors. We are still trying to get her to use a spoon and fork correctly. I requested that our local AEA re-evaluate her for  OT services since they had denied her one on one the last year school. They agreed to do the evaluation which took a few weeks to do. We all met back for her IEP again at the end of May, and their conclusion was that after working several times with her one on one, they did not see any improvement so, they would not give her one on one therapy at school.... ARE YOU FRICKEN KIDDING ME?????? Basically, they are telling me they are giving up on her.... its not worth their time. I am stunned. We do private OT and I LOVE our private OT but we only get to see her every other week now that Mayson is in school 4 full days. Our state is supposed to provide our children with services at their schools once they turn 3. My girl is only 5 and is already slipping through the system. They are denying her her rights. It doesnt seem fair. She has so much potential and they are already giving up on her. MAKES ME SICK!!! THIS MAY GET UGLY BUT I WILL KEEP FIGHTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
end of rant...

Mayson and her music therapist Amber who we also love!

date Thursday, September 15, 2011

4 comments to “occupational therapy rant.....”

  1. Brandee
    8:13 AM

    I'm so sorry. I know you're going to keep fighting for more for your little girl, though!! Good for you!

    Love the cute new look of the blog, by the way!

  1. Becca
    8:57 AM

    Okay, wow, I'm stunned. That's such a blatant disregard of the system that's in place to help our children learn! Can an advocate or an attorney get involved? That's really bizarre. Did they give their reasons for this? It sounds like someone who doesn't know what they're doing is steering the boat, and someone needs to step in...

  1. Tracy
    11:59 AM

    That is just horrible!You go girl!! I know that you will change their minds and get Mason what she needs. Rachel has speech at school (4 x week, even) and I still supplement with a private ST. The ST would like tp see Rachel 2 X week, but at $47/visit, we are just able to do once. Our insurance want cover it until we reach our astronomical deductible!! The services are unobtainable by most of us at the frequency that our kids need them, I hope that you are able to get the school on board with Mason. Rachel will be eight next month and still struggles to draw a line or use a spoon or fork, but her school still provides OT 2 x week. Good luck! I will be praying for a good outcome for you and Mason.

  1. Sweet Pea's Mommy
    11:57 PM

    I'm so sorry!!! Stay strong and keep fighting for what you know is right for Mayson. It's not fair that you have to fight for something so seemingly obvious! Good luck!