My friend Debra, whos little girl Hope has DS, wrote this wonderful clip on her blog... I feel the same way she does but she can write it much better than me!! I thought I would share with you all. Let me know what ya think!!!



Pondering...Yeah I do that once an a great while...

It usually gets me in to trouble but we shall see.

A few weeks ago, I was having a conversation with some friends. I was thinking about why Hope had Down syndrome and a statement was made to me...She has it because of the "fall of man" Wow, I had always thought that death was from the "fall of man". As you are reading this...you have taken a breath, the next breath is one more closer to the day you die. We all are here and we all will die because of the "fall of man". When man fell, sin came into the world and now we all will die because of it. That to me is the "fall of man"

So my next question...in Psalms 139:15-16...For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful. I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. If God "knitted" Hope together...Did he do it wrong and if he didn't do it wrong what is it about Hope and Ds that makes it because of the "fall of man"

What I have come up with is this...right or wrong...Hope is made just like God wanted her to be made and the only thing I can come up with that is "wrong" about Ds is the things that men(I am only using that to make this easy, it could have been a woman that has done these things also) deem wrong in Hope. Hope is going to be slower. Who is determining that Hope is slow...man. Why because she will enjoy life to the fullest. She will not do things on the "normal time frame of other children" She will teach others to slow down, look around and not be in such a big hurry. She will help those that fall down and hug those that are hurting. Not because she is a "happy" person because I can tell you the girl has attitude...because she just is going to enjoy life. My other children have tried to teach me the same thing when they were little...I just am not good at paying attention but what a better world it would be if we all just would slow down and enjoy life.

The next thing is "she is retarded" . My question...by whose standards? Again...MAN. Man made the so called IQ test that tells us all she is retarded and by how much. So what does it really measure. Not sure. To be honest I am not sure where I would score on one of those.

I think that someone came along and said...these children and adults are, sorry about the term...mongoloid idiots, and stuffed them away in an institution. Now that moms and dads have decided to keep our children and raise them, love them and nurture them, they have to fight a new fight. One that they never asked for. We have to fight to change the mentality of people that our children are just that...Children. They have to fight a new fight, one to live. Now they are not put into institutions to die...they are killed as soon as a mom finds out she is going to have an "imperfect" child. Then us that have chosen to allow our children to live are put down by saying we are trying to force our opinions on them when we want people to have an informed choice by allowing those that are contemplating abortion to talk to and find out what it is REALLY like to have a child with Down syndrome. They may still chose to abort and that is, by the law of the land, their right but I would know they had an informed choice not some doctor telling them the worse case and to be honest, from what I have heard of the worse case that they present...I am still trying to find someone with that "worse case of Ds"

I know that any day life can come to a crashing stop. My son was in Iraq. I knew any day, I could receive a call and be told he had been injured or killed. My love for my children is unconditional. They know that...they have witnessed that. What does it really say to a child when they know mom or dad have made a decision to abort because the baby was imperfect and they have said "I could never have the patience to take care of a "child like that"and now they need to be taken care of because of something "like that"?

I guess back to my original question...is Down syndrome because of the "fall of man" ? My answer...No. Down syndrome is the way Hope was created. She is created in God's image. I can agree with the fact that the heart problems, the thyroid problems and other health issues are because of the "fall of man" but then again... we all have those issues and that makes us all the same. (Hope just has more chromosomes that most)

date Wednesday, July 05, 2006

1 comments to “a great writing on DS”

  1. Unknown
    4:53 PM

    That sums it up so well!! Why can't we all voice our opinions in such a beautiful way? This my first time to your blog, But i ow who you are through T21 online. Mayson is soo cute, she reminds me soo much of Shaylee when she was that little!